Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Aftermath by Anonymous

“I’m not putting up with this anymore!” Adrienne shouted, slamming the bedroom door behind her. Following timidly behind her was Alexander, the object of her anger. “Adrienne!” he called out, in an effort to locate what room she had stormed into. He heard cabinets slam and made a beeline for the kitchen. There she was, throwing a loaf of bread hastily across the counter and rummaging in a drawer very noisily, for added affect. “Adrienne what!?” she barked back, not bothering to turn to face Alex. “Don’t Adrienne me. Your jealousy is ridiculous and insulting. I am so sick of dating a child!” She threw a knife on the counter and turned to face him. “Grow up!” she shouted, throwing her hands in the air.
Alex sighed, bringing his forefingers to his temples. He knew he was driving Adrienne insane with all his insecurities, but he couldn’t bring himself to get over it. Ever since he saw that man talking to Adrienne at her work yesterday morning, and the smile she was giving back, well…He knew it was wrong, and to still be hung up over it 24 hours later was borderline high school behavior. He was aware. “Adrienne, how do you think I feel?”  he retorted, exasperated. He had made his scene last night, when she came home. He, for lack of better terms, interrogated and accused her of the incident for almost two hours, while she cried innocent. The sad part was Alex knew she was telling the truth. In the bottom of his heart, he knew Adrienne had no interest in the man, and she had a ring on her left finger to prove it.
“I don’t want to be like this, Adrienne,” he mumbled, slowly watching her response to him. She sighed, and propped herself to sit up on the counter. He crossed the kitchen and looked her in the eyes.
“I’m sorry I’m like this. I was wrong. You deserve better, yet you stick it out with miserable Alex. I just don’t want to lose you, and for a split second, I thought that I could.” He spoke clearly and quietly, and as he finished, she sighed. It was a sigh of disappointment, and she pushed herself off the counter and headed towards the front door.
“I know you mean well. But I’m not your possession. You can’t act like that. It’s unfair to me, and I won’t have it. I won’t marry someone who thinks a wife comes with ownership.” Alex immediately turned into panic mode. Was she calling it off? There he stood, struck with terror and a numbness of his body. She turned over her shoulder, and looked at him through her bangs.
“I need to get away for awhile. I need time.”
Alex would give her time. He didn’t know what else he could do, but he could give her time.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting close-up of someone who can't control his own reactions. Although I sympathize with him, I think he's kind of a scary guy.

    ReplyDelete