Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Stress by Yvonne White

There is some stress in Gloria’s life. She screams at people who pass by, chanting and laughing, saying, “You people are enjoying yourselves while I am suffering due to useless midterms and final exams!” The people look at the depressed girl like she is a lunatic and walk by, enjoying life. “Go ahead; pretend you are living in paradise while I have exams to worry about. And for your information, my boyfriend dumped me for a beautiful woman with a fine body!”

An old man hears Gloria’s cries and tells the girl that life is never fair. “The only way you can beat unfairness is by telling yourself you can make it in life by working hard and hoping for the best,” he says. The old man is expecting gratitude. However, Gloria screams at him, “Shut up, you old man!” and goes inside.

The old man is not a human being, but a ghost who transforms Gloria into a rat. “Oh great, I am now a rat! I have to live with filthy rats!” Gloria lives with the rats, hoping she has not complained about exams and life. Gloria has to eat food she hates. Gloria has to avoid humans and cats, otherwise get killed. This is not easy. Gloria is nearly killed by a drunk who is afraid of rats, and she almost gets eaten by cats.

“Oh, if only I had not complained,” said Gloria tearfully. “I want to go back to my human form; I will prepare for my exams and hope for the best.”

Gloria goes back to her human form and prepares for her exams. At the end of the semester, Gloria gets all As in her subjects and makes the dean lists. Gloria now has a new boyfriend and never complains about exams nor has stress again.

No comments:

Post a Comment