Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Haiti by Donald Conrad


Feeling the plane touch down on a broken ground
taking my leave to a place I’ve never been before
the hungry catch my eye
 a driver standing by
a feeling in my heart I’ve never felt before

I hear grandma caution
 life can be a cauldron
someday we must account for all we do
grace is not so costly
 we’re here so briefly
keep an open heart in all you do


Try to make them well on the edge of hell
know I get a look for even saying so
standing on a corner
 like I am at an altar
talking to an orphan through a window

Grandma always told me make friends with the lonely
 have yourself a spare; that’s always true
grace is not so costly
 we’re here so briefly
It doesn’t start with them; it starts with you


 Somewhere in our prayer we press hope from despair
 try to hear the things that I’ve been told
finding strength in faces
justice from the ashes
take a little more than we can hold

Grandma’s spirit with me takes away the mystery
a feeling deep down in my soul
yes it makes one weary
to be in a legion
 we will take our rest on their sandy shore

1 comment:

  1. Visiting Haiti must have been a powerful experience, Donald. This poem suggests a daunting struggle between hope and hopelessness.

    ReplyDelete